Instant Alert: The best bets from this Saturday's college football slate

Posted On // Leave a Comment

Your Message Subject or Title

  MANAGE SUBSCRIPTIONS   |   UNSUBSCRIBE   |   VIEW ONLINE
 
 
 
 
 

The best bets from this Saturday's college football slate

by Tyler Lauletta on Sep 29, 2017, 6:21 PM

Advertisement

Before we get to the picks this week, a brief story.

Last weekend ESPN's "College GameDay" came to New York City for the first time in its history, much to the confusion of college football fans around the country. I decided to go check out the scenes and sights of GameDay to start my Saturday with no plan other than "watch football" beyond that. It was a surprisingly delightful crowd, with more GameDay spirit than I initially expected.

But as the show was wrapping up and the noon kickoffs were fast approaching, I finally realized just how little I had thought my day through. Completely oblivious to the bar scene surrounding Times Square, I scanned the area and saw a group of about 15 people clad in garnet and white, walking confidently in a certain direction and playing a fight song out of a boombox. Sensing someone who knew where to find football, I followed.

After keeping my distance for a few blocks, I finally introduced myself as a lowly football fan with nowhere to turn. The crew, who I now knew to be Texas A&M Aggie alumni, birghtly welcomed me in to their clan and led me to The Hog Pit on 26th. I threw $50 on the Aggies and put my best fan face on.

Over the course of three hours later, I ate wings and drank Lone Star amid new friends through a back-and-forth game of football. When the Aggies prevailed in overtime, I was screaming at the television while literally holding people who had actually graduated from school. We had celebratory shots of Fireball and I left the afternoon a bit more inebriated than I expected to be before 4 p.m..

So thanks Dana, Ramon, and Ashley for welcoming me in to your family for the day.

Without further ado, onto the picks. All lines courtesy of the Westgate Las Vegas Superbook.

Texas A&M (-8) over South Carolina

I'm an honorary Aggie now and no one can take that away from me. Definitely not a Gamecock.

Also, if you find yourself at The Hog Pit watching football someday, get the wings.



Vanderbilt (+8.5) over Florida

The Gators can't cover a game unless it involves a literal miracle, and the Vanderbilt Commodores are likely undervalued this week after an absolute drubbing at the hands of Alabama.

Anchor Down.



Minnesota (-12.5) over Maryland

Maryland just lost another quarterback to an ACL tear just as they head into Big Ten play into a reliably solid Minnesota program. Max Bortenschlager will start under center for the Terps, who would be blessed to score whatever his name is worth in Scrabble on Saturday.



See the rest of the story at Business Insider


 
Share the latest business news with your network:

Facebook Share Twitter Share Email Share
  

Email sent to:   |   Manage your email preferences   |   Unsubscribe

Terms of Service   |   Privacy Policy

Business Insider. 150 Fifth Avenue, New York, NY 10011
Sailthru

0 comments:

Post a Comment