Instant Alert: I watched SpaceX's Falcon Heavy rocket launch Elon Musk's car into space — here's what it was like near the launchpad

Posted On // Leave a Comment

Your Message Subject or Title

  MANAGE SUBSCRIPTIONS   |   UNSUBSCRIBE   |   VIEW ONLINE
 
 
 
 
 

I watched SpaceX's Falcon Heavy rocket launch Elon Musk's car into space — here's what it was like near the launchpad

by Dave Mosher on Feb 8, 2018, 4:12 PM

Advertisement

There is nothing like seeing a rocket launch toward space in person, and the first flight of SpaceX's Falcon Heavy was no exception.

As a space reporter, I've see a handful of space shuttles and a Mars robot leave Earth, but Falcon Heavy's maiden flight blew them all away.

SpaceX gave me access to cover its demonstration mission, which successfully launched company founder Elon Musk's red Tesla Roadster toward Mars with a spacesuit-clad "Starman" dummy and three cameras inside.

Here's what it was like to witness the spectacle of Falcon Heavy from Kennedy Space Center, including a post-launch press conference with Musk.

SEE ALSO: How used rockets just might save humanity from doom

DON'T MISS: Elon Musk spent $1 billion developing SpaceX's reusable rockets — here's how fast he might earn it all back

SpaceX gave me a press badge came with bunch of stickers that coded my access to various events. I wasn't initially told what the smiley face meant — but I had a good guess.

Falcon Heavy lifted off from the NASA's Kennedy Space Center in Cape Canaveral, Florida. NASA strictly controls access to its space centers, so you need credentials — and some prior vetting — before it will let you through its gates. (SpaceX media representatives set up a credentialing shop in a nondescript conference room at Homewood Suites.)



Falcon Heavy fever was on display as I drove toward the space center. Some people were camping out on a causeway with good visibility of the launch pad more than a day ahead.



Once through the gates, I drove past this massive building: a 750,000-square-foot factory to build reusable rockets for Blue Origin, the aerospace company founded by Amazon billionaire Jeff Bezos.

Blue Origin is likely to become a major competitor of SpaceX. I asked for permission to peek inside, but Blue Origin representatives declined.



See the rest of the story at Business Insider


 
Share the latest business news with your network:

Facebook Share Twitter Share Email Share
  

Email sent to: nguyenvu1187.love5@blogger.com   |   Manage your email preferences   |   Unsubscribe

Terms of Service   |   Privacy Policy

Business Insider. 150 Fifth Avenue, New York, NY 10011
Sailthru

0 comments:

Post a Comment