Instant Alert: The most annoying things about the English language, from people who are learning it

Posted On // Leave a Comment

Your Message Subject or Title

  MANAGE SUBSCRIPTIONS   |   UNSUBSCRIBE   |   VIEW ONLINE
 
 
 
 
 

The most annoying things about the English language, from people who are learning it

by Mark Abadi on May 31, 2018, 3:02 PM

Advertisement

  • English has plenty of confusing aspects that annoy people learning the language.
  • Non-native speakers have trouble with English spelling, the amount of synonyms in the language, and differences between American and British English.
  • We looked through comment threads from around the internet to find the most annoying aspects of the English language.


English is the most studied language in the world, with 1.5 billion people learning it. 

But just because English is popular doesn't make it easy.

Many English learners have vented about the most annoying aspects of the language in the obvious place: the internet. Their complaints range from its confusing spelling to its abundance of synonyms with barely imperceptible differences in meaning.

We looked at comment threads on Reddit, Quora, and other forums to compile 11 of the most annoying things about English, straight from people who are attempting to learn the language themselves.

SEE ALSO: Sugarcoat, mulligan, and 9 more words we can credit to US presidents

DON'T MISS: 27 fascinating maps that show how Americans speak English differently across the US

English speakers say 'an hour and a half,' but not 'two hours and a half'

"Hour and a half. Two and a half hours. I usually slip and say 'two hours and a half' because it's the structure I'd use in Spanish."

Source: Reddit



Prepositions can prove difficult, like how we get 'on' a bus, but 'in' a car

"Why am I 'on' the bus when I’m actually inside the bus, and why am I 'in the car' and not 'on the car' then? I walked through a door and sat down inside in both cases, so why is one 'on' and one 'in'?"

Source: Reddit



The level of formality can be unclear

"I'd say I'm in an upper intermediate level, and the thing I find the hardest is to tell what's formal and what's less formal. Unless you look up in a dictionary and find out which register of language words are from, it's kind of hard to figure out their nature.

"I remember saying once to my teacher, 'Oh will you stop screwing around' and to my friend, 'should you wish to call me, here's my phone number.' I messed up with both partners and used sentences that just didn't fit the context."

Source: AnglaisFacile



See the rest of the story at Business Insider


 
Share the latest business news with your network:

Facebook Share Twitter Share Email Share
  

Email sent to: nguyenvu1187.love5@blogger.com   |   Manage your email preferences   |   Unsubscribe

Terms of Service   |   Privacy Policy

Business Insider. 150 Fifth Avenue, New York, NY 10011
Sailthru

0 comments:

Post a Comment