Instant Alert: I ate Jeff Bezos' mythical 'breakfast octopus' — and I now feel like I have a better understanding of the iconic Amazon CEO

Posted On // Leave a Comment

Your Message Subject or Title

  MANAGE SUBSCRIPTIONS   |   UNSUBSCRIBE   |   VIEW ONLINE
 
 
 
 
 

I ate Jeff Bezos' mythical 'breakfast octopus' — and I now feel like I have a better understanding of the iconic Amazon CEO

by Harrison Jacobs on Dec 29, 2017, 12:44 PM

Advertisement

  • Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos once told the founder of daily deals site Woot over breakfast that he had acquired the company because it was like the "breakfast octopus" he was eating — something he "didn't understand."
  • The restaurant where they ate is Lola, a famous upscale eatery in Seattle near Amazon's offices.
  • I visited Lola to try the dish. It left me convinced Bezos' "breakfast octopus" analogy was not an offhand remark, but something that he had deliberately planned.

 

Amazon CEO and founder Jeff Bezos, now the richest man in the world, is ripe for dissection.

In endless magazine profiles, newspaper articles, blog posts, and books, every episode of the enigmatic Amazon CEO's life is analyzed. Through them, a portrait of Bezos has emerged: intense, intimidating, curious, relentlessly competitive, and with a biting sense of humor. 

But only one of the hundreds of anecdotes I've read about him captures my imagination. That of the "breakfast octopus."

In a 2014 Dallas' D Magazine profile of Matt Rutledge, who sold his daily-deals e-commerce company, Woot, to Amazon for $110 million in 2010, Rutledge shared the story of his first meeting with Bezos after the deal.

During the breakfast meeting, Rutledge asked Bezos why he bought the company. Bezos famously looked down at his plate and said, "You're the octopus that I'm having for breakfast ... When I look at the menu, you're the thing I don't understand, the thing I've never had. I must have the breakfast octopus."

On a recent trip to Seattle, I made a pilgrimage to Seattle restaurant Lola to see what the "breakfast octopus" was all about.

SEE ALSO: Inside the secretive waterfront town that's home to Bill Gates' $125 million 'Xanadu 2.0' and Jeff Bezos' $91 million estate

Lola is located in between South Lake Union, a neighborhood so full of Amazon buildings that locals call it Amazonia, and Pike Place Market, Seattle's most famous landmark after the Space Needle. It's a seven-minute walk from Bezos' office at Day One Tower.



From the outside, the restaurant looked somewhere between a casual brunch place to meet with friends and an upscale date night spot.



It looked to be very busy at 10:30 AM on the Thursday before Christmas. When I went inside, I was told that it would be a 30 to 45-minute wait. The restaurant was buzzing.



See the rest of the story at Business Insider


 
Share the latest business news with your network:

Facebook Share Twitter Share Email Share
  

Email sent to: nguyenvu1187.love5@blogger.com   |   Manage your email preferences   |   Unsubscribe

Terms of Service   |   Privacy Policy

Business Insider. 150 Fifth Avenue, New York, NY 10011
Sailthru

0 comments:

Post a Comment