Instant Alert: 27 money experts share their best investing advice

Posted On // Leave a Comment

Your Message Subject or Title

  MANAGE SUBSCRIPTIONS   |   UNSUBSCRIBE   |   VIEW ONLINE
 
 
 
 
 

27 money experts share their best investing advice

by Connie Mei on Apr 29, 2016, 4:38 PM

financial planning

When it comes to investing, even the most seasoned investor had to start somewhere. If you’re just getting started with your first investment, you might have some questions and even a little apprehension.

Have you ever wondered how experienced investors got their start? Fortunately, we’ve asked that question for you.

We talked to 27 financial experts about how they started investing, what they did exactly, and whether or not they would do anything differently.

SEE ALSO: The financial editor of NBC's Today Show shares the biggest mistake people make with their money

1. You need discipline

“I got started investing when I was working in the investment management industry. The tech bubble burst and I was too afraid to invest money outside my 401k so I just kept piling in money in my 401k.

“Once the dust settled, I saw how much money you could make if you just stay the course and ignore the noise. My 401k grew and grew without me doing anything. Then came the financial crisis. I watched some of the biggest hedge fund managers scoop up assets at deeply discounted prices.

“That’s when the light went on; invest for the long-term, do not sell in a panic, try to, if you can, take advantage of any big market pull backs by buying assets on the cheap. That’s the joke with investing, it looks very complicated but you don’t need to be a financial expert to invest, you just need some discipline,” says Kathryn of Ms. Cheat Sheet



2. Behold the power of compound interest

“When I was 19 years old, I met a mechanic who was a millionaire.  He told me that I didn’t have to choose a high salaried career if I wanted to grow wealthy.  ‘Find something you like doing,’ he said, ‘But learn how to manage and invest your money.’

He showed me how compound interest worked.  He convinced me to start investing $100 a month.  That was in 1989.  I kept adding to my investments every year.  Thanks to him, I’m financially free today,” says Andrew of Millionaire Teacher.



3. Invest more early on

“I started in investing in the year 2006 at the age of 22 years old. The capital was a measly $200 back then when I invested in a mutual fund offered by an insurance company which invests in bonds. After a few months, I decided to transfer my investment from bond fund to an equity fund in order to earn a higher income.

“Since then, I have not pulled it out yet and the value now has more than tripled. If I could only bring back the time, I would have invested a higher amount,” says Tyrone of Millionaire Acts.

 



See the rest of the story at Business Insider


 
Share the latest business news with your network:

Facebook Share Twitter Share Email Share
Email sent to:   |   Manage your email preferences   |   Unsubscribe

Terms of Service   |   Privacy Policy

Business Insider. 150 Fifth Avenue, New York, NY 10011
Sailthru

0 comments:

Post a Comment